Happy Anniversary!

Today, I would like to celebrate my 1 month anniversary here in Nicaragua! That´s pretty exciting, or so I´d like to think. Currently, we are in our 5th week, leaving only 8 weeks or so of work left and 1 week of vacay. It´s kind of crazy to think about. I mean, at the beginning, time seemed to drag on forever...each day feeling so long. But now, with work and events happening, it seems to be progressing at a steadier pace.

Remember when I went to Miraflor my first weekend here?? Well at that time, the girls all said how much we loved it there and we were going to plan a trip back there mid-June to celebrate Siobhan´s 20th birthday. It´s now next weekend (June 13-14th). Thats crazy!! By then it will be our half way point. Like I said, crazy.

As for FUNARTE, I´m definitely feeling more welcomed and needed. This year, FUNARTE is celebrating their 20th anniversary and so there is a lot of preparation work for the big fiesta being held in September in honor of this great achievement. That´s where I sort of come in. Earlier, I wrote about a manta I was working on and that I really felt I was doing a poor job and that others thought I was too, etc. But now that its 2/3s of the way done, its looking much better and is starting to come together. I actually think it looks really good. There´s still work to be done on it (I think that´s what I´m working on tomorrow and Friday) but I am feeling better about it which is a good sign. AND I even got a compliment on it from one of the other painters. It kind of gives me a warm-fuzzy feeling knowing that a manta I did will be displayed in the big 20th anniversary festival. Exciting!! I will also try to take a photo of it to upload and show you all my hard work.

Also, because of this anniversary, there is someone coming in from Mexico on Thusday to make a film documentary about FUNARTE. There are so many preparations being done - lots of cleaning and organization for sure. I wasn´t sure if I would be working on the days of filming, seeing as I´m not really a permanent member, but I think I´m sort of being stashed away in the art studio to work on my manta. Not because they don´t want me to be seen (although its understandable...lol) its more that they will have all their staff working at the same time, so another volunteer isn´t really needed. I´ll basically be working where ever I´m needed.

So ya...work is better and I´m really happy here. Finally. I know you all put up with some complaining (I tried to keep it to a minimum) but I finally feel relatively integrated into the way of life and culture. I love my house - all the great people you meet there. Another guy has been added to our international family - Hans from Belgium. He´s here working for a year. And then there´s John who Jess and I have become pretty good friends with; he´s pretty funny and mumbles a lot and we make fun of each other all the time. And Julie and Natacha as well...but unfortunately they are both leaving soon; Natacha in 2 weeks and Julie, as well as John, leave end of June. Its kind of sad...our family is breaking up :(

One thing that has recently come to bother me, though it dind´t really initially, is the complete direspect of women here. Before, all the cat-calling and ¨Hey chilita...hey bonita¨ didn´t really bug me as much as it did the others girls because I recognized it as part of the culture. But the other day, some guy was riding by on his bike when I was walking to work, riding really slowly and creepily smiling at me and saying all these things in Spanish. I kind of reacted by giving hime the middle finger and felt a little better after. But then...and please don´t worry, I´m fine...when I was walking back home, 2 guys riding on bikes were behind me. I was bracing myself for the usual statements made but instead one reached down as he was passing and slapped my butt. I was so stunned that I didn´t even yell at him; I knew that was what he was wanting, a reaction. He just rode off, giggling madly with his friend. I was more angry than upset...technically thats assault I think...but what could I do about it?? Nothing. In Canada, obviously you would yell and cuss at them, but usually that type of thing doesn´t even happen back home because its taken way more seriously. Until then, I could have brushed off the comments but now I´m even wearier of people on bikes.

I think thats all for now. OH! Wait. In July (this is great news) 2 of my friends, Becca (who did the placement at FUNARTE the summer before) and Brittany (who did BEyond Borders in Africa last summer as well) are coming to visit for 2 weeks!! I don´t know if I´ve already written about this, so sorry if I have. I´m just so excited. I think we´re going to try and do a weekend trip to Grenada.

Keep on reading! I love the support and knowing that people are following along with my journey. Miss and love you all!

Hasta luego.

0 comments:

Post a Comment