Random Updates

1. Remember how I was saying I was sick, then I´d get better and then sick again, etc. etc.??? Well...its turns out I had a parasite and bacterial infection in my body and I had to go to the doctor on Monday because it was so bad. But I´m glad to say that after a litre or so of electrolytes (salty coconut flavor...delicious), some anti-nauseants and antibiotics I´m feeling better though not completely healed. The doctor said I probably got bacteria from the water and the parasite I could have picked up anywhere. She says that all foreigners get sick...all the time. So it´s not just me! Yay.

2. I finished my manta which is really exciting!! I took some photos and am just waiting to upload them which hopefully will be soon.

3. We have a room booked in Miraflor this weekend so we´re heading up there for a good old fashioned girls weekend and in celebration of Siobhan´s 20th Birthday which is tomorrow. Rustic food and living, chocolate instead of cake, hiking and cooler temperatures. Lovely.

4. We met this really great woman named Jeanette McDermott. She is an American journalist and spending time abroad working. She´s quite an activist for liberty, women´s rights and standing up for yourself which is great; we all really admire her spirit and dedication to what she believes and what she does. She has a website/blog which is really interesting. If you get a chance check it out and make sure to look at anything related to La Chureca, the largest dump in the world located in Managua. People actually live in there, build houses out of garbage and spend their days sifting through everything for food. The sign above the entrance to the dump says ¨Gates of Hell¨. It´s terrible and completely unthinkable the living conditions that these people exist in and the government is doing nothing to help them. If these people leave the dump, they get stoned by people from Managua. Garbage truck drivers, before unloading stuff in the dump, take out all usable and unopened food. It´s unimaginably horrible and total human rights violations in every sense. It is so unknown, so tucked away in the depths of Nicaragua, and so we´re trying to spread awareness.

www.jeanettemcdermott.org -> La Chureca (its a flicker photo stream and the photos of the dump are about half way in)

That´s all for now.
Thanks for reading!!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Again I have to say how I appreciate your observations on life. Youth always has one view and older folks have theirs. The difference is experience and you are experiencing life. Sometimes reality is not nice. Canada has a wonderful outlook on how life should be. Many nations do not.

Love Dad and Mom

Post a Comment