Other Challenges

I didn´t know how to work this into my other line of thought, so I started a new one. And for all you Starbuckers out there, I hope you caught onto my title (David, maybe if you drank Starbucks you´d get it...hahaha). This one is about cultural differences; what I´ve foud to be the most significant for me. I´ve adapted well I think to the general culture - food, habits, norms, attitudes (i.e. those possessed by men). But there are three areas I have yet to come to terms with and I don´t think I´ll be able to in my time here.

One is the intrinsic foreigness of being white. Let´s face it: I stick out like a sore thumb; I´m the pink elephant in the room. Even in Canada, I´m considered deathly pale. Obviously I can´t do anything about it...although I am proud to say I´ve achieved a bit of a tan, which is an accomplishment for me, thank you very much. But what get´s me os the way foreigners are treated. Think of Canada - we don´t take a second look at someone who is ethnic or ¨foreign¨. For all we know, they were born and raised in Canada. But we also strive for multiculturalism and appreciating other cultures and what they have to offer. But here, you get stared at, insulted with cat-calls and harrased. Some people are nice to you but that´s only about half; the other half hate you. One friend here was verbally assaulted the other day by one of her neighbours, someone she had seen before and been bothered by before. She was walking home when he started yelling all these things at her like ¨What are you still doing here you stupid American b***h!¨ or ¨Go back home!¨etc. She was so scared because he was walking right towards her, yelling. And there were other guys on the street just laughing at her. I understand not the entire culture is this way, but its hard to be a foreigner. This leads to my second point.

The constant uneasiness and worry for safety. Will I be safe walking home? Should I watch my bag? How late can I stay out before its dangerous to be on the streets? Is this taxi OK to take? We feel so trapped sometimes because we´re scared to go out, be in certain places or be far from home. For instance, Saturday night we were walking from Siobhan´s house after visiting with her to go to a house party, literally 3 blocks away. While walking a group of 4-5 guys, most likely drunk and being loud, were walking right towards us. The first thing anyone says is: ¨We´re going to get robbed.¨ I was actually scared. It was late and we were foreigners. So we turned around and went back to Siobhans house. The guys passed but we felt they were waiting around the corner, as some guys head would appear occasionally. So Jess and I decided to go home...running half the way. In Canada, you still have to be careful but not nearly to the same extent. You´re constantly on guard, second guessing everthing, mentally evaluating how safe it will be. Which sucks but what can I do?? Again, I realize, its part of life here, maybe more so for foreigners. The only thing I can do is try to be safe but not live my life in fear. Take small, not reckless, risks and try to enjoy myself. But the reality is always with you.

The third thing is having to ignore all the wrongs and injustices you see. It´s really difficult because you see so many and again, what can I do?? It´s the culture, the way of life. They would laugh at you if you said anything. The most prominent example I have is of a 2 year old neighbour boy. He´s basically a prisoner in his house and has no freedom. He´s still showing a unique and curious personality but he´s slowly being trained to not use it. Every day he is put in the same spot in front of the TV and told to not move. If he moves, a smack follows. The mother is like a slave in the house, working 14 hour days; when not working she watches 3 hours of soaps instead of playing with him. His creativity and personality are being squahed out of him. The 2 foreigners who live there, Cherry and Genet, took him out one day to the park. When he stepped outside his house he didn´t move...to scared to be smacked. He just looked around as his world widened before his eyes. At the park he had no idea how to swing or slide and watched the children playing before trying it himself, again still cautious to move. Later, the 2 ladies took him for ice cream; didn´t know how to eat it. So they just kind of shoved it to his mouth and got it all over his lips. He tried it and loved it, this big smile forming on his face wanting more. That was his taste of freedom. The other day, Cherry and Jenet were telling us about how he sucks his thumb, his only mechanism of escape. The mother started dipping it in hot sauce to stop him. He was crying and rubbing his eyes, making things worse and the mother just laughed when she told Cherry and Jenet what she was doing. They thought he was hurt. At this rate, that boy will have no spirit in a year. The ladies say that everyday they see a little light leave his eyes. This breaks mine and their hearts because there is nothing we can do about it. Then there are street kids, violent communities that are know about and accepted. Places like FUNARTE try and work with the kids to be some sort of positive influence but what they really need is a new chance at life. But here, that doesn´t exist.

So yes...those are my cultural observations and they´re all tough. So say hello to your neighbour, and be thankful Canada is so safe and secure. And give your kid a hig and tell them you love them. We need to keep the love alive!! And maybe send some this way for all the kids and people who need it.

On a happier note, thanks for all the positive comments...it lets me know you´re still reading!! Miss everyone and thanks for all your support. It means the world to me.

xo

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Marissa...it is so interesting reading your blog and understanding what is going on with you!!!! It sounds like you and your friends are having great discussions about your role there. You have a great attitude and are learning lots - and giving lots back in return!!

Keep up the great work and great attitude!! We all love you so much and miss you!! If I manage to post this successfully it is also thanks to your father (yes, scary, I know!!)

Be careful too (had to add that in!!)!! Sue

Post a Comment