Prejudice

Even though I´ve been here for 2.5 months already, I still feel as though I´m treated as a newcomer. People in Esteli have seen me walking around the street I´m sure, yet everyday (maybe by the same guys) its catcalling and disrespect all the time. Taxi drivers, shop owners all try and rip us off; we get yelled at and cursed and have things thrown at us. Story: I was walking home the other day and out of a moving bus I got a mamone pit (a type of fruit) chucked at me. It hit me on my leg. It didn´t hurt me physically, but emotionally and mentally I was really offended. The reason I´ve come to this country is to help as best I can and to learn from their culture, yet I´m treated like I´m a bad person. I know that the people wouldn´t know why I´m in Nicaragua, but instead of treating with any decency, even to be ignored, we get disrespected and put down. I was really insulted and it was the biggest put down I´ve received yet.

Before coming here, I had never experienced this type of prejudice before. I never would have either back in Canada. But it took coming to a third world country, with a history of being treated poorly by North Americans, to experience it. Its not something I wish on anybody and it gives me a new perspective on the type of discrimination and emotions experienced by other races, such as African Americans, immigrants from India and Asia, etc. I know that I can never say I understand how they feel, at least not in any way to the same degree, but let me tell you, it is very degrading and demoralizing. I truly admire those people who suffered through it to fight against it and make a better life for future generations. It takes a lot of strength and courage to deal with such prejudice and though I´ve only experienced a very minor form of it, it was enough for me to get a new understanding.

So with renewed admiration for those currently dealing with prejudice and stuggling through it, I hope they can stay strong. And for everyone else...don´t be prejudiced! It hurts more than you know. Even if you don´t mean to or aren´t aware of your actions. Be kind to strangers and foreigners because it takes a lot of guts to come to a new country and start a life there.

But...I try to not let it get me down and approach everyone equally, trying not to believe that they will treat me badly just because I´m a foreigner. Because not everyone does...some are very kind and helpful. I say to myself ¨Just keep swimming¨and go about my business :)

2 comments:

Jess DB said...

just keep swimming just keeep swimming!

Anonymous said...

Yeah prejudice can hurt. Sorry about those incidents.

But at least you're looking at what can be taken out of that situation in terms of learning. Also, one way to try to deal with this is to remember that the people who are mistreating you don't know the real you, they just prejudge the 'image' of you.

Keep your head up (y)

Post a Comment